A groundbreaking stride in the electric vehicle sector has recently been marked by Yadea’s release of the industry’s inaugural mass-produced sodium battery electric two-wheeler. This vehicle features Huayu New Energy’s pioneering sodium-ion battery named “Extreme Sodium No. 1.” Huayu New Energy stands as a tech enterprise excelling in the development, production, and sales of graphene and new energy batteries. This milestone is propelled by Yadea Technology Group, a global leader in two-wheeled electric vehicles, consistently topping global sales for six consecutive years.
Betray, another contributing force, will supply hard carbon anode materials specifically designed for Huayu New Energy’s sodium batteries. This differentiates from the conventional lithium-ion battery anode materials. The “Jinna No. 1” anode material embodies ultra-fast ion conductor sodium ion electrode technology, realizing several significant advancements:
● Practical Fast Charging: Achieving an 80% charge in just 30 minutes, three times faster than lithium batteries for the same fast-charging capacity.
● Enhanced Durability: Retaining 85% capacity even at frigid temperatures as low as -40 degrees Celsius.
● Extended Lifespan: Exhibiting over 3,000 cycles of charging and discharging, eight times the life of lead-acid batteries.
● Transport Without Electricity: Offering the unique ability to be transported without any electric charge.
● Standardization and Expansion: Paving the way for standardization and platform expansion across Yadea’s product lines.
Advantages of Sodium-ion Batteries Compared to Lead-acid and Lithium-ion Batteries
Price Advantage: Sodium batteries boast a current cost ranging between 0.5-0.7 RMB/Wh, expected to approach 0.3-0.5 RMB/Wh after large-scale industrialization, closely aligning with current lead-acid battery prices. The raw material costs for sodium batteries are notably cost-effective.
Performance Benefits: Positioned between lead-acid and lithium batteries in terms of energy density, sodium batteries significantly outperform lead-acid batteries in cycle life, high rate performance, and low-temperature discharge. This translates to enhanced durability, increased power, and better adaptability to extreme temperatures.
Overall Superiority: Sodium batteries stand out for their ultra-long life, accurate power display, safety, reliability, high cost-performance, and lightning-fast charging capabilities, making them ideally suited for the electric vehicle industry.
Why Choose Sodium Battery Electric Two-Wheelers
In the realm of two-wheeled vehicles, three primary motorcycle battery types exist: traditional lead-acid, AGM, and lithium-ion. While lithium technology continuously evolves, limitations due to material properties and safety concerns prevail. Sodium batteries emerge as a promising alternative due to their lower cost, better performance in extreme conditions, reduced risk of thermal issues, and superior rate performance compared to lithium-ion batteries.
Yadea’s self-developed sodium batteries, intricately integrated with vehicle models, pave the way for prolonged competitive advantage, fortifying backward integration capabilities, and establishing industrial chain barriers. Additionally, Yadea’s acquisition of Nadian will facilitate a transition from lead-acid to aid in the brand’s global expansion.
Trend Forecast: The Rise of Sodium-ion Batteries
Sodium-ion batteries, rivalling lithium and surpassing lead-acid batteries, are poised to redefine the two-wheeled electric vehicle industry. The progression from lead-acid to lithium and now sodium battery technology positions 2023 as the “Year of Sodium Electricity” in the developmental history of the industry.
Upcoming Sodium-ion Battery Products
- Sihao New Energy and Zhongke Haina’s Sodium-ion Battery Test Vehicle: Featuring sodium-ion battery packs with cellular battery technology, this model boasts a 252km range, a 25kWh battery capacity, and a rapid charging time of 15-20 minutes.
- Phylion’s Super Sodium F1: Known for technological prowess, Phylion gears up to launch the first generation of “all-weather super-running sodium-ion battery” – the super sodium F1. This innovative battery emphasizes reliability, endurance, fast charging, precision, cost-effectiveness, and top-notch security, powered by cutting-edge sodium battery technologies in key components like electrodes and electrolytes.
(Continued advancements in sodium-ion battery technology are revolutionizing the electric vehicle landscape, promising superior performance, cost-effectiveness, and safety across the industry.)